It's Friday so it must be Quick Takes time.
1. Twenty people for Thanksgiving is totally do-able and I have a couple of tips to make it go well in the future for all of you. Have appetizers. Kids eat more vegetables off a veggie tray than off a dinner plate and some cheese, veggies and crackers make it easier for everyone to wait. Also, although we actually have the space/chairs/dishes and whatnot to seat 20 people all at once (though not at one table) at the suggestion of one of my friends we tried feeding the grownups and littlest kids first while the food was at its hottest and the rest of the kids played. Then we reset the table for the kids and let them have their own party. The kids busied themselves with card games, weren't starving thanks to the appetizers and barely noticed that they weren't there at the table first. It worked well.
2. I have recently been concerned about whether anything physically was wrong with me that might be causing my 4.5 month old not to gain weight as fast as she should. After a checkup earlier this week, I'm glad to say I'm perfectly healthy. My thyroid is fine and so is everything else. So back to wondering what is wrong and if I'm just a lousy breastfeeder unable to feed my babies enough. I do think the 24/7 feeding schedule is helping though and that the baby is looking chunkier. I'll find out when we go back for a weight check.
3. It may be better for you, but whole wheat pasta tastes horrible. Whole wheat bread, yes! Brown rice, (mostly) yes! But whole wheat pasta -- just say no!
4. We're going to get a live Christmas tree this year for the first time in seven years. We used to go for real ones, but after our year in Fairbanks where oddly enough real ones are more trouble and/or more expensive, we've always used a fake. But back to reality this year and I'm looking forward to it. We're also using real greens. We picked up a bunch of free cuttings at Home Depot and used them on our mantles and I even made my own wreath for the front door using florist's wire and a wire hanger. Since I already had the wire and the hanger (and ribbon to decorate it) it was free. Yay free!
5. Two of my favorite teas are for sale again -- if you are looking for Christmas presents for the tea lover in your life -- I highly recommend The Republic of Tea's Comfort and Joy and Tea of Good Tidings.
6. My two year old alternates between loving his baby sister and trying to squish her. He's also taken to asking frequently if he can "hold him." At least he hasn't yet tried to pick her up.
7. I have a long list of things I want to make for Christmas. Have I even started most of them? Of course not. I'm in big trouble.
5 years ago