Friday, January 15, 2010


The little guy is doing quite well. I had intended to update everyone yesterday and thank so many of you for your prayers, but it was a long day and I didn't quite get to it.

The day started very, very early for me. In other words, I couldn't sleep much the night before. And the day before, the doctor's office had called and told us that due to a cancellation, our surgery had been bumped up and we had to get there by 7 a.m. Which meant that after a restless night, I needed to get up around 5-ish so that I could drink my much needed coffee, eat something and wake up enough to drive across town to the Children's Hospital.

We waited until the last minute to wake up the Boy though. We figured a sneak attack would be easier for getting him dressed and in the car without food or drink on his stomach.

We got to the hospital and signed in at 6:58. And then we sat and waited for 40 minutes to be checked in.

A bit after that, we got called back to a room, where they took his vitals, asked a million questions over and over, and had a nice young lady come in to explain to my son directly with pictures and various pieces of equipment, all that he would be seeing. I thought that was a great idea for getting kids ready for the OR.

And then we waited some more. The Boy entertained himself with the stuffed animal he brought with him. What can I say, but that we are the Adams family. Stuffed rats are par for the course.

Finally, the nurse came and he walked down the hall holding her hand and they sent me back to the waiting room. And this is where the one highly annoying part of the morning started.

After they took him back to the OR, they told me to go to the main waiting room until they called me and said to tell the check-in woman, if I was leaving the area.

About 15 or so minutes later, they called his name and sent me to a consultation room. In the room was a note about how they call you in there early and not to worry if it takes a while for the doctor to arrive. No doctor arrived.

By the time it was an HOUR after the surgery started (which is how long they told me surgery and recovery would take) I thought I faintly heard the name Adams in the waiting room. So, I got up and went out. They told me they had been looking for me for practically the whole time. No one had looked in my consultation room (which was the farthest from the main hall) or called my name or anything (I had the door open). No one had bothered to note which room I was put in. When I was finally led to my son, who had woken up without me by this point, the woman I was complaining to, suggested me it was my fault, because I hadn't checked-in with the waiting room when I had gone back after the Boy went to the OR. Which no one told me to do! They just told me to check out if I left.

But all is well that ends well. He was there, happily sucking on a popsicle and not the least upset at my delayed arrival to his bedside.

Just in case you are extra curious. The boy was not having done to him what might normally be done shortly after birth, if you are going to bother with it at all. He was having some scar tissue fixed (caused by irritation from wet diapers and rubbing) that was impeding urination and messing with his bladder.

He was woozy yesterday and crying about the pain this morning when he woke up, but now after pain medicine, he playing and arguing with his siblings just like normal. I still need another nap or two to recover though.


Lori said...

I'm so glad to hear how well he is doing.

I'm sorry about the snafu at the hospital that really stinks. They should do a better job with instructing the parents and keeping up with where they put them!

Amy said...

I'm so glad it went well. He looks so cute in the pictures!

They should never lose a Mommy and imply that it's her fault. Shouldn't someone have gone looking??

It's great how they talked him through what would happen though.

Kim said...

So glad he's on this side of the surgery. Hospital staff sometimes forgets that we're not there every day like they are and might need a bit of hand holding to get us from point A to point B. I can't believe they blame you for not knowing to sign in first!

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Lenise said...

So I missed this yesterday! I'm so glad he wasn't distressed. I can't tell you the number of times I've been pretty sure I was following instructions to the letter and still somehow *they* found fault with what I did (usually in a medical facility!) Here's to a happy bladder for the little guy!

Michelle Smiles said...

Glad it went well and sorry the staff was jerky.

Herb of Grace said...

Glad to hear all is well...

Always hate to hear stories like that, though-- it really sucks when they seem to just expect you to KNOW all the ins and outs and do everything just so, even if no one tells you!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Ohmygoodness, he's so precious. Glad all's well that ends well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails